What Are the Best Slim Fit Tactical Pants?
Most tactical pants are pretty baggy. I’ve bought 6 different pairs of tactical pants and most are loose fitting or baggy. Only one pair were considered slim fit tactical pants. Loose fitting is great for freedom of movement like running, climbing and crawling but for looks, not that cool. I have found 5 pairs of tactical pants that are a slimmer fit than most. Here they are…
5 Best Slim Fit Tactical Pants List
- Tru-Spec Guardian Tactical Pants
- GoodThreads Slim Fit Cargo Tactical Pants
- Under Armour Tactical Enduro Pants
- Under Armour Tactical Guardian Pants
- LA Police Gear Urban Ops Tactical Pants
Tru-Spec 24/7 Guardian Slim Fit Tactical Pants Features
- 65/35 Cotton/Polyester Rip-Stop fabric – this is the best and most durable fabric for tactical pants. It’s tough yet very comfortable to wear all day. Rip-Stop fabric is great for hot weather because it’s lightweight and breathes. It’s fine for cold weather but it won’t keep you warm like 100% cotton.
- Double stitching – this is a must have on tactical pants. It provides over twice the strength of single stitching. You won’t get loose or unraveling hems or pockets coming undone. Double stitching will last for years and years of abuse. You can stuff the cargo pockets full without worrying about the stitching breaking.
- Well designed pockets – 6 huge cargo style pockets for maximum storage. There are 2 cargo pockets on the front pant legs plus the 2 side pockets and then 2 more on the rear. The cargo style pockets are large and can accommodate anything from wallets to firearm magazines to pocket knives and car keys. The Velcro fasteners are super strong and secure the pocket openings tightly. They will not open accidentally.
- Heavy duty fasteners – These are easy to fasten and will last a very long time. They are metal and large enough to grasp easily. You really have to watch out for tactical pants with cheap flimsy zippers. These cheap zippers usually end up with teeth being stripped out and then stop working. Tru-Spec’s zippers are heavy duty metal. They won’t strip out. The front waist fastener is a heavy duty metal snap. I like that. It snaps securely and won’t come undone by accident. It’s very robust.
- Waist is true to size – I bought the 29″ waist and it measures 29″ exactly. Some tactical pants do not. Some are bigger that what they say. It’s important to get a proper fit. I don’t like a baggy waistline.
- Legs are slim fit – the pant legs are a slim cut and fit me perfectly. There is room to move but no bagginess. They look great on me.
- Inexpensive – I have paid upwards of $100 for tactical pants but you don’t need to. 5.11 tactical pants are about $75-$100. They are great but the Tru-Spec are just as good and fit better and cost less than half. I have had both pairs of tactical pants for the same length of time and both look like new pants. The quality is about the same.
- Long lifetime – I have worn and washed the Tru-Spec 24/7 tactical pants many, many, many times and they still look like new. I think I’ve had them for 4 years now.
- Cool in hot weather – I live in Phoenix, Arizona where the summer temperature hits 115 degrees quite often. I have worn the Tru-Spec tactical pants in the summer while bird hunting. They kept my legs cool while walking in the direct sunlight. The breathable fabric really works well.
Tru-Spec 24/7 Guardian Tactical Pants
Here’s a tip on slim fit tactical pants…if you going to wear them in hot weather buy a lighter color like Khaki. Dark colors like black will get much hotter when the Sun beats on them for any length of time. However if you are going to wear them in cold weather, buy Black. In the sunlight, black pants will warm up nicely.
Tru-Spec 24/7 Tactical Pants Reviews
“I’ve been in law enforcement for over 20 years and we’re allowed to wear tactical pants as part of our uniform. I started out wearing the traditional 5.11’s but they never did fit me right. I’ve tried the Propper but they didn’t seem to fit me right either. One day while looking around in a military/law enforcement surplus store I tried on a pair of the Tru Spec 24/7 and fell in love with them. They fit me perfect. And I love the fact that the crotch doesn’t hang halfway down to your knees.”
“I purchased one pair of these pants and two pairs of the 5.11 Taclite pro pants at the same time to compare which would be better. My main objective was to have pants that I could wear daily and also that would work for carrying my firearm inside the waistband. WIth traditional pants to carry IWB you need to oversize your pants.. so when you are not carrying they are just too big. Both of these brands have an elastic band and to be honest I kine of give TRU-SPEC the win on the elastic for looks. It does not look like an elastic waistband.”
“I’ve been doing a lot of research lately as I’m looking to purchase 3-4 pairs of tactical pants. I ordered one pair of these pants as a “trial run” before I invested all the way. First impressions: These are VERY nice pants. Out of the package they do a good job of beading off water, and the overall layout of the pockets and smaller design features are very nice.”
5 Best Tactical Pants
- 5.11 Stryke Operator Tactical Pants
- Tru-Spec 24/7 Tactical Pants
- CQR Tactical Pants
- Under Armour Tactical Enduro Pants
- Helikon Tex UTP Pants
5 Cheapest Tactical Pants
- CQR Tactical Pants TLP104 – $27
- Tru-Spec Guardian Tactical Pants – $29
- Propper Lightweight Tactical Pants – $35
- Under Armour Tactical Guardian Pants – $31
- 5.11 Tactical Ridgeline Covert Pants – $30
5.11 Tactical Pants
I had a pair of the 5.11 Stryke Operator tactical pants and I have to say they were fantastic with the exception of being heavy. They are made well and fit well but they are heavy duty and were hot to wear in the summer. They retail for about $75 and are worth it unless you want something lightweight and cool to wear.
5.11 Stryke Tactical Pants Specs
- 65/35 polyester/cotton rip-stop fabric
- Flex-Tac flexible fabric
- Teflon treated fabric for water proofing and stain resistance
- Gusseted inseam for better fit
- 12 pockets including double deep cargo pockets
- Available in 12 colors
- Knee pad ready
- Retail Price $74.99
These pants look very professional like dress pants. I wore them to work in the office for several years. The fit is in between loose and tight. They are not baggy but also not a slim fit.
CQR Tactical Pants
I have several pairs of CQR tactical pants and have to say I love them all. CQR are not a slim fit and more of a loose fit but they are very comfortable and allow freedom of movement. They are also cheap. I think I paid about $40 for them.
CQR Tactical Pants Specs
- 65/35 polyester cotton rip-stop fabric
- True to size fit.
- Loose fit for ease of movement
- Water Repellent
- Military/Law Enforcement design
- Heavy duty metal buttons and zipper
- Heavy duty double stitching
- Duratex fabric repels liquids, dirt and debris
- 8 multi purpose cargo style pockets
- Velcro pocket flaps
- Fade, shrink and wrinkle resistant
- Elastic waistline and D rings
- Retail Price $40.00
Tru-Spec Tactical Pants
Tru-Spec are fantastic tactical pants especially if you want a slim fit. Their Guardian tactical pants are slim it. They are excellent. I have 2 pairs…..Guardian and 24/7. They are well made like 5.11 and CQR and cost about $45-$50. I highly recommend them.
Tru-Spec Tactical Pants Specs
- 6.5 ounce 65/35 polyester cotton rip-stop fabric
- Heavy duty metal snap with brass YKK zipper
- Adjustable true to size waist
- 2″ wide belt loops
- Extra deep front pockets
- Two knife and/or accessory pockets
- Expandable back pockets with Velcro type closure
- Two side cargo pockets with Velcro type closure
- Bellowed side gussets contain 2 internal compartments
- Utility pocket on the outside of cargo pockets
- Double reinforced knee with knee pad pockets
- Retail Price $54.95
Under Armour Tactical Pants
I am a huge Under Armour clothing and shoe fan. They have great styling, fabrication and quality. I have several pairs of Under Armour shoes, t-shirts and pants. They all fit great, look great and last. The only down side is the price. They are a little pricey.
Under Armour offers a great selection of tactical pants. Here’s a list of them.
- Men’s Tactical Enduro Cargo Pants
- Women’s Tactical Patrol Pants
- Tactical Flex Pants
- Tactical Enduro Pants
- Tactical Patrol II Pants
- Tactical Guardian Pants
- Storm Covert Tactical Pants
- Tactical Adapt Pants
- Field Ops Pants
Under Armour tactical pants are well made with high quality fabric and heavy duty stitching. Most are made from Rip-Stop fabric and are water repellent. The knees are reinforced for wear/tear resistance. They are very comfortable to wear and move around in like hiking, climbing, running, etc. The price ranges form $50 to $80.
Tactical Pants for Hot Weather
I live in Arizona where its hot 8 months out of the year. I like to wear tactical pants but have to admit most are too hot to wear when it’s 90+ degrees outside. However I found 2 brands of tactical pants that are great for hot weather.
- Tru-Spec Guardian and 24/7
- CQR Tactical Pants
The reason why these 2 are cooler is because of the fabric and the fit. The 35/65 cotton Rip-stop fabric, if lightweight, is cool to wear because air can circulate around and through the fabric. Some tactical pants have a heavier Rip-Stop fabric.
Fit can also make tactical pants either Hot or Cool to wear. There has to be some room inside the legs and crotch area to allow air circulation.
Not all 35/65 Rip-Stop fabric is lightweight. For example, 5.11 Stryke tactical pants are heavy Rip-stop and are hot to wear. Great for cooler climates thought.
I just wanted to mention my experience with Tactical Boots. I just bought a pair of CQR Military Tactical Boots for $60. They are fantastic. They are everything you want in a tactical boot from ankle support to arch foot support to sole traction design. They fit perfect and are comfortable to walk all day in. I sometimes wear them to work with black tactical pants.
Tactical Pants for Women
Tactical pants are very popular with women as well as men. Women like tactical pants for hiking, camping, yard work, law enforcement occupations, hunting, fishing, etc. They like the indestructible fabric and the numerous pockets for storage. Another feature that women like is the comfortable fit that allows freedom of movement while still looking good.
Popular Tactical Pants for Women
- 5.11 Women’s Taclite Pro tactical pants
- Under Armour Women’s Patrol Pants II
- LA Police Gear Women’s Ops Tactical Pants
- Tru-Spec Women’s 24-7 Pants
- 5.11 Women’s Stryke Covert Pants
- Rothco Women’s Tactical Pants
- CQR Women’s Tactical Pants
- Propper Women’s Tactical Pants
Frequently Asked Questions
What are good tactical pants? There are several high quality tactical pants available. Here are some of them that I have owned and wore. CQR, Tru-Spec, Blackhawk, 5.11, Condor and Helikon.
What are tactical pants used for? Tactical pants can be used for any purpose but mostly for Law Enforcement, Fire Fighters, EMT’s, Security Personnel, military personnel, hikers, climbers, outdoors man, etc. Any activity that requires tough clothing that will not tear, rip or a braid easily is ideal for tactical pants.
What are the toughest work pants? The toughest pants I have ever had are tactical pants made form 35/65 polyester cotton Rip-Stop material. They are impossible to rip or tear and they won’t wear quickly even after years of use or abuse.
Are tactical pants waterproof? Not all tactical pants are waterproof. Some are and some are not. Most are water resistant which means they repel water.